Vission, Mission and Core Values
To build a dynamic, diversified and a sustainable livestock industry.
To provide quality services in animal production, research and breeding services that encompasses the principles of excellence, quality, client focus and commitment.
In support of this Mission, the Department have the following core functions:-
1. Provide and co-ordinate support and services to the livestock industries, farmers and other stakeholders and members of our community.
2. Training farmers on good management practices, transfer of technologies, marketing strategies and livestock production systems.
3. Support livestock keepers with services that promote production, breeding, animal feeds and by products.
4. Facilitating improvement of the national cattle herd using AI (Artificial Insemination)
5. Facilitating development of livestock farms to improve management of livestock and sustainable use of land resources
6. Encourage youth, women and resource poor persons to venture into livestock entrepreneurship.
7. Encouraging establishment of commodity associations likes of Dairy Associations, Poultry Association, Service Providers Association and Small Stock Association
1. EXTENSION SERVICES
The section of Livestock Services has four level of service provision; at Department headquarter region, district and shehia. The section is trusted with transfer of technology to livestock keepers on different aspects of animal husbandry practices, processing and value addition, and marketing in collaboration with other department’s technical sections either within the Ministry or any other institution.
2. ANIMAL PRODUCTION
The division of Ruminants is invented of five sub- section as follows; cattle production, poultry production, sheep and goat production small stock production and Heifer Multiplication Units. The section is responsible for development of Animal Husbandry activities as to improve the production potentialities of livestock and poultry reared in the Isles.
3. ANIMAL NUTRITION
This division consists of Pasture Multiplication Unit and Animal Nutrition Laboratory. Its major tasks are to support provision of planting and stocking materials to smallholders’ livestock keepers and regulate the use of animal feeds and planting material.
4. ANIMAL BREEDING AND AI SERVICES
This is a service provision section aimed at improving the genetic production potentialities of livestock and poultry reared in the country. The division is comprised of Artificial insemination service unit, semen production unit and Laboratory.
5. PROCESSING AND MARKETTING
The main function of this section is to support, promote and guide livestock keepers on value addition of their produce to enable the country achieve and maintain quantitative and qualitative animal products and by-products.